Blood Sorcery Ritual •••
- Prerequisite: Thaumaturgical Surgery
The thaumaturge mystically endows a dead life form with magical energy and imparts to it a rudimentary set of instructions. The resultant creation carries out their orders to the letter; Biothaumaturgy use this power to populate their havens with deathless guard dogs and other, quirkier "pets".
- Cost: 6 Rouse Checks
- Dice Pool: Intelligence + Blood Sorcery
- System: Lesser Animation uses the following system:
- Ingredients: Any straight surface (preferably elevated like a table), scalpel, a deceased organism, surgery thread and needle.
- Process: After using the same principle for preparing the tools as the ritual Thaumaturgical Surgery, the biothaumaturge cuts open the deceased organism and starts to mend the dead body. The reanimation takes three nights, needing two hours of chanting and two Rouse Checks per night. In total, this ritual takes six Rouse Checks worth of Blood.
- System: This power affects plants and simple animals, nothing more than a single tree or dog per use. If the effect is successful, the animated creation may be given a one-sentence command, which it will fulfil until destroyed. Minor variations of the subject may even be made - a thorn thicket could be animated to move slowly toward intruders to entangle them, or animate cat could be given a set of larger, permanently extended claws that do additional damage. Specifics should be worked out with the Storyteller.
Creatures animated in this manner have their original Strength and Stamina, while their Dexterity drops by one (but never below 1). Social and Mental Attributes are at zero. Each creation has a number of health levels equal to half of those it had in life plus half the Medicine rating of the user (round up). Creatures animated in this fashion immediately crumble to dust if stricken by sunlight and suffer double damage from fire. Since they are alive, they suffer damage like mortals.
- Duration: Three nights.
This ritual is the third level of Rituals of Biothaumaturgy. Which also includes:
This bizarre path reputedly has its roots in the secret tomes of the inscrutable Black Hand. Over the past few years, its esoteric secrets have spread among certain cabals of Tremere, who regard it as curious mixture of Hermetic science and genetics. Biothaumaturgy concerns itself with the manipulation of life energies. In the laboratories of inspired Biothaumaturgy may be found strange creatures almost out of myth, veritable Frankenstein's monsters and less wholesome creations. Although it is not considered a "taboo" path, Biothaumaturgy is nonetheless strange and unsettling to those who observe its results.
Biothaumaturgy also requires the thaumaturge to have a laboratory where she may conduct her experiments. This need be nothing more complex than a doctor's table and a few sharp knives, but it may be as complex as the "mad scientist" affairs of pulp fiction, with steaming alembics and crackling generators. The Storyteller should feel free to modify a character's Biothaumaturgy difficulties if she has excellent laboratory resources or her facilities are utterly lacking. Working with a crude lab may add two to the difficulty while a high-grade facility may lower his difficulties by two.