Feed the Hungry Dark
Oblivion Ceremony ••
- Prerequisite: Shadow Cast (Chicago By Night, p.293)
Some students of the Abyss have learned the unsettling skill to feed through the shadows of Oblivion, drawing black blood into their veins from darkness and marking their victims with painful leech bruises.
- Cost: 1 Rouse Check
- Dice Pool: Resolve + Oblivion
- System: This Ceremony has the following rules and ingredients:
- Ingredients: Enough candles to encircle the caster, a lighter, a silver knife, an unlit room (this Ceremony does not work outside)
- Process: The caster forms a circle around themselves with their candles, extinguishes all other light sources in the room, and then lights the candles one by one. The next ten minutes are spent chanting in a plea for the Abyss to share with them its endless hunger. At the Ceremony's climax, the caster opens their wrist with the silver blade and extinguishes each candle with drops of their vitae forced from the wound.
- System: The caster enacts the process, then makes their Ceremony roll. On a win they may feed through Oblivion shadows they cast on a victim (with Arms of Ahriman, Shadow Cast, Stygian Shroud, or a similar power) without using their fangs, until the next sunrise. The feeding follows the normal rules, except it uses a pool of Resolve + Oblivion vs. the victim's Resolve + Composure without a called shot penalty, and a win slakes one Hunger immediately.
- On a critical win of the Ceremony roll, the annihilating element of Oblivion negates the Bonding properties of Kindred vitae they drink using this method. On a total failure of the Ceremony roll, however, the hungry maw of the Abyss instead chooses to steal all lifeblood that the vampire consumes, leaving them unable to slake Hunger until the next sunrise.
- Duration: One night
This Oblivion Ceremony is from a collection of profane rites that connect to the very heart of the Abyss, drawing upon its infinite darkness and hunger. To learn these Ceremonies, a vampire needs access to a suitable and willing Mawla. Those among the Cult of Shalim and other heretical Lasombra cults often practice these Ceremonies, but rarely an outsider may earn enough individual favour to break the jealous secrecy of these darkest arts. Associated Oblivion Ceremonies include: